Friday, December 5, 2014

I Have Been Working On These Blocks For Weeks!!

I have always loved the Buggy Barn Quilts and I have purchased several of their books hoping someday to make one.




When Sue, my long arm quilter friend, offered to trade the piecing of her Buggy Barn quilt top for several quilts on her longarm, I was thrilled!!

So she brought it over and . . . 

I have been working on these STOOPID blocks for weeks and weeks ~



Now don't get me wrong, I still LOVE Buggy Barn quilts but I don't like making them.  I think the reason why is because I am a paper-piecing kinda girl - I love the precision, the exactness and clean look of each block.  Not so with these blocks.  It seems that even though I make each block exactly the same as every other block, they all turn out differently and so wonky!!

Now, if I want wonky, which I love, I want planned wonky!!  Ya know, paper-pieced wonky.  Plus, I have to square up EVERY SINGLE one of these blocks on purpose!!  Yiks!!  When I make blocks, even traditionally pieced blocks, I make them precisely so I DON'T have to square them up, they are already square.

There are 80 of these blocks and then they get pieced together to make 20 completed blocks and each of these blocks need to be squared up - ON PURPOSE ~


Then I will add sashing with corner medallions and borders~


and this is how it will look.  I am down to the last 10 hours so I am getting excited but they are still STOOPID blocks!!  LOL!!

And then Sue told me yesterday that this is probably the most difficult Buggy Barn quilt.  Well, that is why she wanted me to piece this one for her!!  Telling me that that made me feel much better though - if I can conquer this one, I can conquer ANY Buggy Barn quilt.  Maybe I will try another one - some day!!  :-))

6 comments:

Nancy said...

Wow Kris this is quite a challenge. Good for you. It looks great and just think of all the quilts you can get quilted.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I helped one of our students with this exact pattern! It is because things are in a wonk setting on the paperpiece pattern - makes you feel like you are going in the wrong direction. Stay with it - you will love the outcome.

Janet O. said...

I've never made a Buggy Barn pattern. I'm confused (nothing new there, right?). It looks like you have a paper pieced pattern there--are these blocks not paper pieced?
They certainly look complicated. I am impressed that you have stuck with it. I think I'd have called Sue and told her the deal was off. : )

Sherrill said...

I've got a few of the books and have always thought they were so cute but when I got down to reading the directions and all, it sounded like a nightmare in the making and I never even started (well, I did trace one pattern off but that was as far as it went! HA).

Sherrill said...

I also think Sue is VERY sneaky and would NEVER trust her again! LOL!!

Melody said...

You are right. If you can do this you can do anything